Saturday, July 2, 2011

Spicy Vegan Feast

I love Indian food - not takeaways which always seem to be the same meal served up in different coloured sauces. I love vegetables fried with freshly ground spices or simmered warm flavourful sauces & served with an aromatic pilau. Back in the 70s I bought 2 books which have stood the test of time - Middle Eastern Vegetarian Cookery & Indian Vegetarian Cookery. If you ever see them anywhere snap them up. They are where I turn when I need inspiration of an Indian nature. So when I was intending a vegan feast to celebrate having my two daughters in the same city it was to Jack Santa Maria I turned & he did not disappoint. He gave me a magnificent pilau. I usually do a middle eastern version and it is very similar but with subtle differences.
Fry a thinly sliced onion and 4 cloves garlic, crushed, in ghee or oil (for Indian I use a flavourless oil rather than olive) until golden (I would normally soften without colouring). Then Jack suggests 1 inch piece of ginger, grated, 6 cloves, cinnamon stick, 1/2 tsp chilli powder, 2 cardamom pods, bashed, 1 tsp garam masala, 1 tsp cumin seeds, salt. Cook with 1 1/2 cups rice (I do 1/4 cup per person & leftovers are essential) until the grains are opaque. Add water or vegetable stock (2-1 liquid to rice) & bring to the boil. Simmer until done. When I am doing a lot on the stovetop I do this in the Le Creuset & shove it in the oven on 150 for 20 minutes to finish off. Then I just turn the oven off & let it sit until I am ready to serve.
Next, take your favourite pumpkin - I had butternut left over from last week's lentils. Chop into large chunks & toss in sunflower oil & a mix of spices which will cohabit well with what you're already using in the other dishes - garam masala, cumin, coriander. Or you could cheat and toss in a flavoured oil such as AvoHealth Flavours of India avocado oil. Remember those pita crisps with olive oil & cumin - well use this & you have Indian style chips. Back to my pumpkin - spread in a shallow baking dish & bake at 180 about 40 minutes.
Then onto the potatoes. Cook 2 finely chopped onions in oil until golden, then add 3 cloves garlic, crushed, 3 cm piece of ginger, grated, 600g floury potatoes, peeled & cubed. Cook for a couple of minutes then add 1tsp each cumin, coriander & garam masala, 1/2 tsp each turmeric & chilli flakes. Cook until the spices release their aroma then add, 1/2 tin tomatoes, 2 cups vegetable stock & salt to taste. When the potatoes are just done add 1 cup frozen peas & cook until the peas are done.
In the meantime prepare the spicy cauliflower. Cut a cauliflower into florets & saute in oil for a few minutes. Remove from the pan & set aside. Add a little more oil & cook 1 tbsp each black mustard & cumin seeds and cook until they pop. Add 2 cloves garlic, crushed, 1 tsp turmeric, pinch chilli flakes and the other half of the tin of tomatoes with 1/2 cup water. In summer I would use fresh peeled, chopped tomatoes in both of these dishes. About 2 per dish. Return the cauliflower to the pan, cover & simmer until it's tender. Stir through coriander leaves to serve.
This was all so delicious it reminded me why I like to cook & eat Indian food & I plan to do it again soon. It is not hard & so much nicer than those takeaways. If you have any vegetable in your fridge looking for attention spice it up & serve it with rice & tamarillo chutney.

4 comments:

  1. It was really a very yummy vegan feast! My best bits were the cauliflower and the pumpkin! :) Thanks Mum...I especially enjoyed eating the leftovers at work the next day. oh yeah!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Glad you liked it. And you liked the spicy crisps.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh yeah the crisps were really really good. In fact I have made them 3 x since! <3

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hey Sally - I still have the book you gave me in London when I was a staunch vego! Middle Eastern Vegetarian Cookery; On the front page:
    To Legs, Wishing you many happy hours of cooking. With Love on your 27th Birthday, Sally - man how times fly! I LOVE this book - I think later you also bought me Indian Vegetarian Cookery - both still used alot. Cheers Leonie ♥

    ReplyDelete